The desire to bring the body into good physical shape is a frequent motivation when buying a gym membership or buying your own home fitness machine. For independent training, a wide range of equipment is offered: the range of simulators begins with a treadmill and ends with specialized training machines designed for a semi-professional audience. The simulator, which can be used by beginners and professionals, is an elliptical trainer, also called an ellipsoid, an orbit track and a cross-trainer. It provides opportunities for classes in the hall and at home.
It doesn’t matter if you purchased an orbitrek or other cardio simulator – the conditions for quality work and the appearance of early results are the correct use, following the training program and the recommendations of professionals. Remember – it’s extremely important to exercise on an elliptical trainer to get the result.
What are the benefits of an elliptical trainer
The main reason why the effectiveness of the cross-trainer is much higher than the effectiveness of a treadmill or other similar trainer is the lack of a significant load on the joints and spine. This allows fitness lovers, for whom these areas are problematic, to avoid pain and further damage. Due to the ability to move backward, the orbitrek includes work on all muscle groups.
A common reason to buy an ellipsoid is the desire to use an elliptical trainer for weight loss. Performing exercises on the cross-trainer helps to reduce weight, pull up and achieve results. There are many people who have lost weight with the elliptical trainer, and they still use the orbit track to maintain their shape. Weight goes away evenly and gradually, the number of calories consumed increases. Losing weight on one elliptical trainer will not work, in addition, the one who is losing weight should change his diet, he should adhere to the correct nutrition system. Losing weight depends on both the intensity of the workouts and the number of calories. Weight will only decrease if calories are spent more than consumed.
Using the ellipse simulator is simple – it is suitable for use at home, it is easy to choose a training program for classes at each difficulty level, in addition, the orbit tracks are almost silent, which is another reason to choose an elliptical trainer. Use the simulator at a convenient time. When using the elliptical trainer, the respiratory system, the cardiovascular system develops, and endurance increases. Besides the fact that you can burn calories and work on overall weight loss, with the help of a cross-trainer there is a harmonious development of several types of muscles, which helps to form a toned figure and include additional reserves of the body.
The advantages of using the elliptical trainer are vast – plus the wide possibilities of use, versatility and reputation of the simulator for weight loss. If you decide to do physical activity, the orbit track will be a good choice for home workouts.
The main thing to remember is that you need to do it right, not relying on your own intuition, but first having studied the materials on this topic.
The basic principles of proper training
Those who have recently acquired an ellipse are interested in the right exercises on an elliptical trainer in order not only to lose weight, but also not to harm their health with too intense training. Classes in the orbital track are the safest, as the load on the joints and spine is reduced, which reduces the risk of injury. That is why we have gathered tips from certified fitness trainers:
- Before you start a full-fledged training, think twice to avoid muscle strain and discomfort after the session. Set the machine to minimum resistance and warm up for about 5-10 minutes. This will make it possible to get used to the ellipse, to prepare the body for a more intense training. Train should be gradually increasing the load. Exercise slowly, do not rush to perform exercises at a professional level, if you are not ready.
- For the most effective weight loss, it is recommended to engage in 40-50 minutes 3-4 times a week. Start with less, gradually increasing your workout time. Remember that any body is individual, focus on your own feelings and do not do more than you can withstand.
- When practicing in orbit track, heart rate control is important. This is necessary for those who have problems with the heart and blood vessels. Some ellipses of more advanced models have an additional function of reading the heart rate, but smart bracelets or smart watches are also suitable for this. Another indicator that is read by individual models of elliptical trainers is the frequency of steps. This indicator helps to control your own effectiveness, set goals and achieve them.
- For practitioners on an ellipsoid, the importance of the correct body position is often not obvious, but it is undoubtedly an important indicator that affects the effectiveness of the training. Classes with an inclination forward or leaning back are some of the options for performing exercises, but it is important to remember that even when they are performed, the back should be straight, the legs should be bent at the knees, and the foot should be in close contact with the surface of the simulator. The head must be kept straight, the look is directed to the wall.
The impact of the simulator on the body
When using the ellipse trainer for weight loss or maintaining the general condition of the body, the orbitrek affects the main muscle groups. Due to the versatility, you can work on an elliptical trainer both for people who are overweight and thinking about how to lose weight, and for the elderly, and fitness lovers.
The pulse during exercise is quickened, the cardiovascular system is stimulated. Increases Stamina. However, despite all the positive changes in the state during training, you must not forget to carefully monitor how the body responds to classes – many take longer than the training program requires, and this leads to undesirable consequences.
On average, between 500 and 700 calories are burned per hour on an elliptical trainer.
What muscle groups train during classes
The ellipsoid simulator compares favorably with other home simulators in its versatility. Exercising on an ellipsoid is simple; there are extensive opportunities for training muscle groups. Beginners are interested in which muscles are involved in training on the simulator.
The main actions performed on the ellipse trainer are walking and running. The movement of the orbiter occurs in an oval. Walking on it is useful not only for the muscles of the legs and hips, but also for the muscles of the back, abs, arms. For best results, it is recommended to gradually increase both the time of training and the intensity. Here are the groups involved in the training:
- there is a study of the muscles of the thigh, buttocks, the gluteus maximus muscle, the quadriceps femoris – quadriceps;
- muscles of the back and chest, press develop;
- due to hand movements, the muscles of the shoulder girdle and arms are trained;
- there is a load of the heart muscle, respiratory and cardiovascular systems.
The elliptical trainer allows you to strengthen any part of the body and achieve weight loss. If you intend to lose weight, you need to exercise a load of slow muscle fibers. This means that you need to deal calmly, but for a long time.
What are the results of classes
Classes on the ellipsoid simulator, even if they are associated with weight loss, give other positive effects – on the ellipse you can strengthen your muscles and tighten your figure, as well as increase endurance and improve health due to regular physical activity. There is a training program for each task, and it is important to choose the right one that would suit your tasks. The myth that training on an elliptical trainer in a short period of time helps to lose weight is incorrect. However, if you work hard and choose the program that suits you, the results will not be long in coming.
Starting classes on the simulator, remember that at the beginning of the path, weight loss is difficult, and the first visible results may not be quite long. However, if you continue to increase the pace and intensity of classes, as well as increase the training time, you will soon notice that excess weight is leaving, muscles are tightened and developed. At this stage, do not forget that by giving yourself the opportunity to pause, you allow the muscles to rest and avoid injuries that occur when the muscles are overstrained.
The main secret of effective training that brings the greatest result is a gradual increase in complexity. From simple to complex. Another factor that affects how quickly you lose unwanted weight is nutrition. Following an appropriate diet often becomes a key component of a successful weight loss program. We recommend that you consult with a professional nutritionist before starting any specialized nutrition program.
Training on an ellipsoid is useful not only for losing weight, but also for strengthening muscles, improving the general physical condition. Exercises on an ellipsoid are able to replace daily running or fitness trips and complement them. You can train on an ellipsoid in several simple ways, each of which gives an additional load on individual muscle groups.
- The first method of training is a normal walk forward, in which it is necessary to keep your back straight, not to tear off your feet from the simulator. This method of doing exercises is considered the most effective for burning fat.
- The second way is to walk backwards. In this position, the load on the gluteal muscles occurs, the load on the joints is slightly increased, since the exercise is performed from a semi-sitting position.
- The third way to do this exercise is to tilt forward. In this case, the areas of greatest load are the quadriceps and calf muscles. Remember that only the body should be tilted, keep looking straight.
- The fourth way is a workout with a bias back. It is necessary to lean back, as if crouching, and perform the exercise in this position. Here the gluteal muscles and abs are loaded.
Most often, the duration of the workout is adjusted depending on how you feel. If your friend or acquaintance claims that she practiced for several hours every day, do not follow her example and harm her own body. The optimal training time is up to one hour. You can start classes from 20 minutes, gradually increasing the training time from week to week. The training program on the elliptical trainer should be designed in such a way as not to harm and cause injury. If you are not sure whether the training schedule was correctly drawn up, it is recommended that you contact a professional fitness trainer who will help you choose the optimal amount of training for your needs.
Many are interested in whether it is possible to eat immediately after training or to drink fluids in the process. Opinions vary on this issue, but professional fitness trainers agree that you should refrain from eating the first hour after training, and after that – do not eat too much. As for water, you should not drink during the entire workout – you only need to rinse your mouth a little with water or take a couple of sips in case you feel dry.
General training rules
There are general rules that are recommended to be observed if you decide to choose training programs for completing tasks on an elliptical trainer. These rules are easy to follow, they allow you to properly prepare for training or to avoid discomfort in the process.
- Before you begin to exercise on an elliptical trainer, you need to stretch to warm up the muscles and minimize the risk of injury. Warming up does not have to be difficult – you can stretch yourself or on the simulator by doing a standard exercise at a minimum resistance for 5-10 minutes.
- Workout clothes, choose a light, comfortable. Shoes – sports, for example, sneakers;
- An important component of any training program is regularity. Do not take too long breaks between days of classes. Recommendations for the number of weekly workouts vary depending on the level of training.
- It is important to remember the correct position of the body when doing exercises: the back should be straight, the gaze directed straight, the feet should be firmly on the steps. Do not stand on your toes while moving your legs.
- If this is your first time in orbit, do not overload yourself. Increase the load gradually. Remember that if you overload the body, it will take time to recover, which may affect the training schedule.
- To achieve the result, supplement strength training.
Initially, the ellipsoid was not designed to gain muscle mass, but with the help of the orbit track you can do muscle strengthening. Since cross-trainer training refers to cardio training, walking on an ellipse can increase muscle tone and reduce excess weight. However, if the main goal is not muscle development, but volume expansion, an elliptical trainer is not the best choice; for these purposes it is worth trying strength exercises.
To work out muscles, interval training is suitable – intense physical activity, which is interspersed with exercises at a slow pace. After warming up, you need to start walking at a calm pace, which is alternated with intensive exercise for 2-3 minutes. The intensity of the exercise can be achieved by increasing the resistance of the simulator or by increasing the speed of execution. The training program on an elliptical trainer for muscle development most often includes 3 lessons per week for 35-45 minutes each.
If the goal is a small set of muscle mass, you can not only alternate exercises on an ellipse with strength exercises, but also choose a nutrition program that will help to build muscle more efficiently. To strengthen the muscles, it is necessary to introduce protein and porridge into the diet, which should be consumed one and a half hours before training. This kit should be consumed in the same period after training.
The specifics of weight loss classes
There are several training options for beginners on their way to an ideal figure. The most effective of them is, perhaps, training at a uniform pace. In this case, you should engage in a full hour, maintaining the same rhythm. Set the degree of resistance to average, as well as speed. If it’s too difficult for you to complete the task, reduce the resistance while maintaining speed and time.
Another exercise option is the interval training you already know. The training should be started slowly, for 5 minutes, after which you need to gradually increase the speed of the task, without changing the resistance, for 20-30 minutes. After this, you should again switch to a slow speed for another 5 minutes, and then do the exercise at the highest speed for several minutes. Finish your workout with five minutes of walking at a steady pace. If the training seems too complicated – reduce the resistance on the simulator.
It is important to remember that when you study at home, you are your only motivation. The training scheme, suitable for those who want to lose weight, looks like this: classes on the simulator three days a week, the rest of the time – training of a different nature or rest. The duration of classes is 40 minutes or one hour.
To make the fruits of your workouts more obvious, start eating right after meeting with a nutritionist who tells you what to eat and what to eat. We can say for sure that slow carbohydrates are much more beneficial for the state of the figure than fast carbohydrates, which means that you probably have to refrain from sweets.
Programs for different levels of training
Depending on how long you have been engaged in fitness, training may vary in level of difficulty. Training on an elliptical trainer is complicated by increasing the resistance of the trainer and the speed of the task. Perhaps complicating the workout by increasing the duration of the program. Any exercise that you perform on an ellipsoid can be simplified or complicated depending on the preparation or on the state of health at a single point in time. Starting the lesson, focus on your own feelings. Nobody feels better than you your body and level of training. Choose the level that seems right to you, but use the opportunity to consult a specialist. Most often, programs are divided into three difficulty levels: beginner, intermediate, and experienced.
Classes at the initial level are carried out 3-4 times a week with a duration of exercises of 25-35 minutes. Before performing the exercise, you need to warm up the muscles, stretched out. The warm-up should last 5-10 minutes. Do the workout yourself or on the simulator. Warm up can be included in exercises, just starting to do it at a calm pace. The total training time will be 30-40 minutes.
At the initial level, exercises should be performed slowly, gradually increasing the speed from training to training. Once you feel confident enough, you can increase the execution speed and resistance of the ellipsoid. With this rhythm of exercise, the weight begins to decrease evenly, and the level of endurance increases. As soon as you can continuously train for 25-35 minutes, increase the exercise time. Stick to this program for the first months, but if you feel confident enough, move on to the next level of difficulty. Gradually, you will be able to move to an advanced level for experienced fitness enthusiasts.
This level is suitable for those who have been practicing on the elliptical trainer for some time and are ready to increase the intensity of the exercises. An indicator of the intensity of the exercise is the heart rate. The maximum age pulse is calculated by subtracting the athlete’s age from two hundred and twenty. If you have good physical fitness, then the pulse rate during exercise can be up to 80 percent of the maximum age-related pulse. Remember that it is not worth it to strain to reach this value. It is better to engage in a comfortable pace, because the results are achieved including due to the duration of the exercises, and not only due to the intensity of the execution.
For athletes of this level, training is recommended from 3 to 5 times a week. The duration should be from 35 to 45 minutes, depending on the condition and goals. Remember that at any level of training, a warm-up is necessary so that the muscles are warmed up and ready for a more intense workout. In this case, you can increase the frequency of steps. The use of the basic options for working on an ellipse is recommended. Choose one of the four main ways to perform the exercise, depending on which particular muscle groups you want to load.
For experienced athletes, a program that differs in the frequency of training, the duration of the exercises and the increased intensity is suitable. The program is designed for those who have been engaged in the cross-trainer for a long time and are ready for serious physical exertion. The time of classes is 45-60 minutes, the frequency of classes is from 4 to 6 times a week. This is enough to maintain physical fitness. When practicing at this level, the heart rate can reach up to 90 percent of the maximum allowable amount of heart rate.
Resistance at this level of occupations set to the maximum value. It is recommended to exercise either at a single pace, a full lesson, or at intervals – for several minutes at a steady pace, 30-40 seconds in intensive. This level works with almost all other types of exercises – alternate workouts on an ellipsoid with fitness or strength training.
Training on an elliptical trainer is suitable for both beginners and experienced athletes. The main thing is to comply with safety rules, not to risk your own health and focus, first of all, on your own physical sensations.